Saturday, April 30, 2011

New Toy

I saved up my Discover Card Cash Back earnings for a long time (OK, It should have taken longer - I spend too much money on the card), redeemed them for Kohl's gift cards, waited for a good sale, and bought the KitchenAid mixer.
So far I've only made a loaf of bread, which didn't turn out any better than if I had kneaded it myself, but did save me the 25 minutes of hands on time.  I've got a beach vacation coming up so sweets aren't on the menu, but when I get back I'll be making this banana pudding:
2 bananas
2 c milk
1/2 vanilla bean
4 egg yolks 
1/2 c sugar
1/3 c cornstarch
1 t salt
2 T butter 
Combine the bananas with milk and vanilla in saucepan, boil, turn off heat. Cover, set aside for 10 min. In the bowl of an electric mixer combine yolks, sugar, cornstarch and salt whisk until smooth. With the mixer running slowly add the banana mixture. Return everything to the saucepan and whisk constantly until it returns to a simmer and thickens. Return the mixture to the electric mixer, add the butter and whisk on high until cool. Refrigerate.

No comments: