Thursday, December 30, 2010

Toenailing is Hard Work

Yesterday I was stood up again, this time by the city inspector who was supposed to arrive between 9:00 and 3:00 to inspect a hot water heater that was installed over a month ago. On the up side, I have an awesome brother who generously went to Home Depot and picked up 25 2x4s while I waited for the no-show inspector.

Our progress is slow. Yesterday I cut the remaining bottom plates and R nailed them down. Then we debated the best method of attaching a top plate when the trusses run parallel and then we started learning how difficult it is to toenail studs in place while keeping them plumb and straight. At the end of the day we had attached four and a half studs.There has got to be an easier method! Should we try renting a power nailer? Is it OK to use screws rather than nails? It is already noon and I haven't ventured to the basement yet today, but hopefully I still have time to make some progress.

No comments: