Sunday, May 24, 2009

Denji ha boushi Aprons

I was warned in advance of starting my assignment that many of the OLs link wear aprons. The common explanation around the Michigan office was that these aprons are worn so that the OL has plenty of pockets to store any items she might need handy to excel at her job; maybe a stapler or three-hole punch? This explanation didn’t satisfy me, after I started to notice that some OLs don’t wear aprons and some female engineers do, so I asked A and M for the real story. It turns out that these aprons are electro-magnetic protection aprons (電磁は防止エプロン) focused on protecting reproductive health and are not in common use outside my office. I didn’t find any information in English but I did find some interesting Japanese sites with amusing images.

No comments: