Thursday, May 21, 2009

ETC Card Discount

I have blogged a bit in the past about the cost of expressway driving in Japan. I used to think that the toll roads on the way to Chicago were a bum deal, but since moving to Japan any expressway drive costing less 50USD each way seams reasonable. Since the end of March vehicles with an ETC (toll card) now travel unlimited expressway distances for just 1000yen (approx 10USD) on weekends. Some roads are still excluded, but from what I have encountered almost everything seams to be discounted to some degree. My car navigation system lets me know the non-discounted price which is a great reminder of how much money this program is saving me. For example my trip to Fuji go ko would have cost approx 80USD each way and a trip to Kyoto would have cost about 50USD each way. The looming problem at this point is that I have two months left, but have already gone 2000km over my lease limit for the year.

No comments: