Sunday, April 19, 2009

How to Decide What to See in Kyoto

This weekend is my third trip to Kyoto. For the first trip with A, M, Mom, and R I encouraged A&M, as natives, to choose the itinerary. On the second trip with R we decided on places recommended by Foodors that I hadn't seen yet. This round, recognizing that I will probably only return to Kyoto twice before I leave Japan, I contemplated my decision a bit longer.

*Here is a link to the spreadsheet*

The references to Michael and Naomi come from the Michael and Pam website. The scoring is +1 for each recommendation and -1 if I have already been there. Based on this list the places we are planning to see this weekend are:
Kinkaku-ji - Gold Temple
Ryugen-in - Rock Garden
Ginkaku-ji - Silver Temple
Nanzen-ji - Tiger Paintings
Philosopher's Path
Kiyomizu Dara - Temple with Wooden Deck
Sanjusangendo - 1001 Statues
Katsura Imperial Villa - Japanese Garden
Tofuku-ji (houji) - Moss Checkerboard Garden
Fushimi Inari - Tori Gates
Toyoko Gojo Karasuma - Hotel
Youjiya - Facial blotting papers requested by A
⑧Imperial Housing Agency - Application location for Katsura
I am skipping four of the places that scored well in my list:
Daigo-ji Temple - Because Michael gave it low priority status.
Enryaku-ji Temple - Because it is significantly far from the other locations, but I would like to see it with my Mom.
Nijo-jo Castle - Because I wasn't that impressed the first time. It is on standby if we don't get accepted to Katsura.
Ryouan-ji Temple - Because I have already been and Ryugen-in is recommended as a better Rock Garden.
Saihou-ji - Because prior application is required and the cost is approximately 30USD.

I didn't plan food or shopping (except for A's blotting papers), I've had luck with those things being a buffer and fitting between destinations.

No comments: