Monday, April 27, 2009

Kyoto Day Two

I had to pause between writing about day one and day two of my Kyoto weekend in order to travel to the Japanese Alps this past weekend, I'll blog about that trip later this week.

We started a very cloudy gray day two of the Kyoto trip at Kiyomizu-Dera which happens to open at 6:00am. Hoping to avoid the immense crowds that it tends to attract later in the day we arrived at 7:00 and had the place to ourselves.



Next, we stopped at the Imperial Household Agency hoping to get a tour at the Katsura gardens, but were informed that all tours were booked until Wednesday. Instead we wondered the grounds of the Kyoto Imperial Palace.
The third stop was Sanjusangen-do a hall which contains 1000 identical statues that cannot be photographed (check the photo on the Wikipedia link above). This was my first visit to Sanjusangen-do and it quickly became one of my top 10 favorite attractions in Japan.
Just before lunch we made a stop at Tofuku-ji, another of the a la cart temple complexes, planning to see the moss checkerboard garden, but unable to find it we ended up at the gravel checkerboard garden instead. The most amusing park of Tofuku-ji is that free parking is located within the temple complex this meant that I had to drive through one of the old temple gates.After lunch we finished the day at Fushimi Inari. This time I tried to pay more attention to the variety of fox statues along the tori gate route.

2 comments:

ThatBlackjack said...

Did you see the tree with the cancer in the Imperial gardens? It had been cut open sometime before I was there in 2003.

Alice said...

...I didn't see the Cancer tree, nor could I find any information about it online