Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Tie-Dye District

With the help of research done by my Mom, today, I ventured to the Tie-Dye district of Nagoya. My motivation of traveling to this area was finding a cloth to cover the ugly couch end table that I purchased from a local recycle (used furniture) shop. The information about this area provided to me was the following:

"Arimatsu Narumi Shibori Kaikan
60-1 Hashihigashiminami Arimatsu-cho, Midori-ku 458-0901 +81
(0)52 621 0111
Description A stop on the old Tokaido highway, Arimatsu over the years became famous for its production of shibori (tie-dyed fabrics). It continues today to produce quality textiles that are used for both traditional and modern fashions. This hall celebrates the town's history of tie-dye with exhibits of designs, processes and actual examples of the craft."

I was surprised by both the intricacy and the high cost of the products available. I certainly wouldn't have been able to afford anything large enough to cover a table.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

well that certainly is pretty I thought of the tie dyeing we did in Minnesota remember that pajama like outfit we did? Not really anything like that is it? more artfully done there.