Friday, July 10, 2009

Last Day at the Office

Today was my last day in the office. It was a fun day in that I was got to pass out thank you gifts and try to communicate in Jinglish with many people I will probably not have the opportunity to see again, but it was also a nerve racking day because I had to give a good-bye speech in Japanese.

From the day I first started to work in Japan I have been preparing for this entry as I contemplated daily the pros and cons of the Japanese office.

Pros of the Japanese office:
Toilets with heated seats and a flush noise for privacy
A Cafeteria
Mandatory 5:30 departure on Wednesdays
A locker room
Being able to take a nap during lunch hour
A convenience store in the building that opens during lunch and dinner
Windows that open

Cons of the Japanese office:
The desks are not tall enough for my legs to fit
It takes 8 minutes to walk from my car to the building, uphill
The computers average 5 years old
Having to wait for a shared CAD computer, or arrive early to get one
No trash cans
The Air Conditioner temperature is set at 28C
No Drinking fountain
Cigarette vending machines and a smoking room inside the office

No comments: