Thursday, November 6, 2008

Random Visa Check

I was the victim of a random Visa check on Monday at the airport. Shortly after I arrived in the International Arrival South Meeting Place and started to snack on an orange I was approached by an airport police officer.

I immediately stuffed the orange in my purse thinking that was my violation, but she assured me that my orange was OK and I was chosen for a Visa overstay check. Because I have a work visa and will stay in Japan longer than 90 days I have an alien registration card that I keep with me rather than having to carry my passport everywhere. The officer was speaking to me in Japanese so I was a bit confused, but she asked if she could copy of the information on my card into a notebook that she was carrying with her that contained the information from other foreigners whose visa status she had checked. I didn't see any other choice, or any issue for that matter with her copying my information, hopefully I gave the correct answers. She seamed most concerned that I was there waiting alone, she kept saying ''一人'' meaning ''one person?'' and then ''気おつけてね'' meaning ''take care''

No comments: