Sunday, September 14, 2008

Dinner with the OLs

Last week I had dinner with the Office Ladies, OLs, in my group. The ladies took me to a rotary sushi restaurant, a fun concept in Japanese dining.
You sit at a table or bar and the food comes to you on a conveyor belt that travels throughout the dining area. At the restaurant, I visited, the food was prepared by staff situated in the center of the oval conveyor belt. Powdered tea, pickled ginger, and sauces are provided at the table, everything else can be picked up off the conveyor or ordered off the menu. I was impressed to find that the items are placed sporadically as to not create a situation where some tables get fresh food and others only get leftovers. At the end of the meal the bill is tallied by counting the number of plates on the table. Each plate design corresponds to a different price, the items we consumed ranged in price from 100~315yen (the current exchange rate is 108yen/usd).

Unfortunately, I cant take credit for these photos. My camera was in my car which was was in my office parking lot, which I learned is not the same as the
OLs - mine is unfairly located about 5mins walk closer to our building.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

So do the ladies have a shorter walk or you? That concept of food traveling all through the resturant would not work here I would think some kid might spit or sneeze on the conveyer and everybody (but me) would walk out