Saturday, September 6, 2008

I'm Old in Japan

Today I ate lunch with a different group of ladies, as one of my usual lunch companions was on vacation. I had met two of them before, but one only in a formal situation. The first English question she asked (I cant use chopsticks and try to understand Japanese at the same time) was in regard to my age. I answered in Japanese and received a shocked look in response (during which I wondered if I had misspoke)...followed by ''I thought you were my age! I'm 33.'' Boo to that!
The second topic of conversation that I was able to comprehend was in regard to TOEIC test scores. Apparently it is beneficial career wise for employees to score well on the TOEIC test. One of my coworkers, a Japanese man, who went to High School and College in the US scored a 980, while one of the assistants who learned English strictly in Japan scored a 985 (with the top score being a 990). They asked me how I thought I would score, based on this trend I'd probably score worse because I've had more education inside the US.

No comments: