Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Japanese Hair Cut

Last weekend I had my first haircut in Japan. I wont lie, I was pretty nervous going in because of the difference in hair texture, most Japanese women are looking to make their hair thinner while I always want my hair to have more volume. The appointment was arranged by my consultant, Kobayashi-san from H&R consultants, based on my two requests, near Issha Station and average price. The place she chose was Coo Hair, just 2 minutes walk from exit 1 of Issha station. I went in equipped with two photos, one of myself with bangs in the style that I was looking for and a second of a hair model with the correct length and end treatment, as well as a Japanese text book cartoon with common expressions used in describing a haircut in Japanese. I was greeted by several stylists and service people who seamed about as nervous as I was; a confusing exchange followed and I was seated the multi-colored version of this couch, which is a good illustration for the tone of the place.I had been told by my Japanese teacher in MI that I could expect to receive a head massage with a hair cut in Japan. I didn't get a massage, instead I received a lengthy massage like hair washing by my stylist Yoko's assistant while we attempted to have a conversation in Jinglish. Yoko was great, she looked at the photos I had brought, quickly understood and explained in English what she was going to do. I hadn't planned to post a photo, but I got some requests, so here you are.
It ended up a little shorter than I wanted, but the bangs turned out great, so I can forgive shortness.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

the length looks great! if it was perfect you would have to get another cut next week.