Friday, October 24, 2008

CO2 Ticket

This morning when I went to start up my laptop I noticed a paper that bad been placed between the monitor and keyboard. Hmm, strange. I couldn't interpret the Japanese, but I did notice CO2 clearly in several places, so I had an idea what it might be about. When I brought it up at lunch, my coworkers explained that if your computer is not shut down at night there are company CO2 police who will occasionally patrol the office handing out tickets. The penalty is writing an explanation as to why the computer was not properly shutdown and then having your group leader and department head sign it before returning it to the policing department. I can almost say that I am happy to have gotten the ticket, I was feeling pretty good about the steps I take to reduce my environmental impact, I recycle almost everything, fill my freezer with water bottles to improve its efficiency, unplug electronics that are not in use, shop at second hand stores, don't eat red meat, etc, but this served as a humbling reminder that I can/should always be doing more.

1 comment:

Travis said...

Hey Alice, this is Travis. You should have your department look at running computers in "sleep mode" they actually use the same amount of power that they would completely off (albeit plugged in). If they dont know what I'm talking about, I'd be glad for them to fly me over and pay me for consultation :)

Travis