Thursday, October 16, 2008

Drill

The commotion started many days in advance of the drill. Step 1 halt production at all of the plants on site on the day of the drill. Step 2 install fire doors in all of the staircases. Step 3 Clear out the piles of junk obstructing the emergency exits. Step 4 Close the visitor parking lot on the day of the drill. Step 5 Ask each employee to take vacation on the day of the event and make a detailed attendance record. Until the actual event my understanding was that we were having a fire drill; that's what everyone had been telling me. Just after the alarm went off, and I was asked to sit under my desk for 5 minutes, I realized that it must be an earthquake drill. After the imaginary shaking stopped we followed designated leaders, who were provided with tall signs, outside to where an extensive PA system had been set up to warn us about the Tokai earthquake which historically happens every 100 years and is overdue.

No comments: