Sunday, February 22, 2009

Enlightening Commute

Before coming to Japan I didn’t put much thought into what was on my ipod, I took it to the gym for workout music and that was about it. When I came to Japan my commute to work increased from seven minutes each way to over half an hour and like M I burned out on Japanese radio. After the novelty of Radio I wore off I started listening to podcasts, my favorites include This American Life, Stuff You Sound Know, The Nutrition Diva, Wait Wait Don’t Tell Me!, and The Presidential Radio Address. Recently I finished the more than 400 archived episodes that I had initially downloaded and was left with open air time beyond my regular weekly podcasts. One of my goals for my time in Japan was to read War and Peace. I have yet to crack the book, but I am through book two of the audio book acquired free from Librivox.org. Teams of volunteers read chapters from out of copyright books, which are then complied and made available on the site for free. I was so happy to find Librivox and it seams like a great concept.

No comments: