Sunday, February 15, 2009

Giri Choco

Valentine's Day in Japan is celebrated differently than in the US. Through marketing it has become tradition for women to give chocolate to men on this day. There are two different types of chocolate that can be given, Giri Choco or Honmei Choco. Giri Choco is given as an obligation to coworkers and Honmei Choco is given to a significant other. The majority of my female coworkers chose not give out Giri Choco, but since I only have one year to fit in as many Japanese traditions as possible I decided to give something to my teammates (all of whom happen to be male).

Supposedly the gift will be repaid on White Day, March 14th, when men give chocolate to women.

After handing out to chocolate to my teammates I had a few pieces left over that I wanted to share with A and M. I asked A what I could call it since she and M wouldn't be given Giri or Honmei Choco and she siad "Oh, it's Tomo Choco." Tomo being short for Tomodachi or friend.

No comments: