Sunday, February 1, 2009

Rakugo 落語

Yesterday L invited me to join her and M for a Rakugo performance in Toyota city. Rakugo is the performance of comedic stories involving more than one character told by a single seated performer. Yesterday's performance was done in English and for the benefit of the non-English speaking members of the audience we were taught and practiced the following Rakugo story.

K: Hi! Dan-san.
D: Oh! Ki-san, Please come in.
K: Thank you, Dan san.
D: Oh, you look tired.
K: No, I'm just hungry.
D: OK, Would you like udon?
K: Thank you, Dan-san.
D: Okuya (wife), bring udon for Ki-san
K: Thank you. (eat the udon) I want ice cream.
D: What? You have just eaten udon.
K: But I want ice cream.
D: Ice cream?
K: I love ice cream. Ice cream loves me. We love each other.
D: We have no ice cream.
K: I want ice cream. Ice scream.
D: OK. OK. Just a moment. Come closer.
K: Thank you, Dan-san.
D: You really want ice scream?
K: Yest!
D: WAAAA...!
K: Why did you scare me?
D: Because you wanted ice scream, so I scream.

No comments: