Wednesday, March 25, 2009

How to Use a Huge Diakon

L gifted me with a large Daikon Radish from her CSA box a few weeks ago. I wasn't home when it was delivered but M sent me an e-mail saying that he had just put a daikon the size of a Baby to bed in the refrigerator crisper drawer crib. After that I set to work coming up with enough ways to cook daikon having little experience using it.

First up, shared by Martha Stewart daikon used in place of pasta. I wouldn't make it again, but it was an interesting idea. Daikon and fish stew. This was supposed to be a Thai dish, but I just didn't really care for it.Zucchini pancakes with daikon in place of zucchini. I liked the base recipe which included a lot of hearty ingredients like oatmeal and flax.
Potato and leek soup with daikon substituted for some of the potatoes. I didn't like the base potato leek soup recipe that I used, but I think with a better recipe daikon could be a great fit.Daikon home fries, yum!Tabouli with a special daikon addition. This worked really well, the daikon added a nice crunch but the flavor didn't stand out.Daikon french fries I used this recipe, these are apparently a big hit with the Atkins dieters. I thought they were OK, but M really liked them.Daikon hash browns. I was afraid to use just daikon so I mixed in potatoes as well. I also liked this usage, the spiciness of the daikon was a good mix with the potatoes and onions. Rice and vegetable salad with dakion, peppers, tomato, peas, corn, carrot, and cheese. I guess I was running out of ideas, I like anything mixed with rice and cheese so for me this wasn't bad.

No comments: