Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Kobe

This weekend M and I decided to get out of Nagoya and head to Kobe and Osaka. Saturday morning our first stop was the Kobe Earthquake Museum, according to Wikipedia 6,434 people were killed in the earthquake which is also considered the most costly natural disaster to hit a single country. Interestingly, this information was nowhere to be found at the museum. M and I were the only people in the museum, at the 1230 tour time, which was eerily empty as was the rest of the city.Our next stop was Wakkoqu for Kobe beef based on a recommendation from http://www.michaelpam.com. I gave up my Pescetarian ways (but am making a donation to the Nature Conservancy to offset my hypocrisy) for the once in a lifetime meal, which was unlike any meat I have eaten, the entire cut including the fat is BBQd to deliciousness. After lunch we took a walk under the Shinkansen tracks and into a hiking area recommended for it's waterfall.
I enjoyed the view of the city as much as the waterfall.After our walk we checked in to our hotel and headed to Chinatown. Unfortunately, the restaurants closed earlier than we had expected so we had to settle for a Japanese chain restaurant instead.
Sunday morning we stopped at Kobe port on our way to Osaka.

No comments: