Sunday, January 2, 2011

Taking Shape

When I picked my uncle up from the airport today it was pretty easy to convince him to come check out the progress.  He also voulnteered to help and good things started to happen.
The saw was easily fixed and now I understand how to assemble electrical cords - a good future skill.  Next I was convinced to change framing methods and build the wall on the floor and then lift it into place.  This method isn't as accurate, but moves much more quickly.  This would have been even easier if we built the wall an 1/8 inch short and just shimmed it at the top, our wall was just the right height and took a lot of hammering to fit into place plumb and level.
With the new method we quickly ran out of studs so we used uncle's truck to pick up 30 2x4s three times as many as fit in my car, plus I didn't have to carry them into the basement alone.
Taking a break for dinner breakfast burrito...I still hope to secure the new wall with a few more screws, finish the medicine cabinet and make the gym stop missing me all before I have to head back to work on Monday.

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Dad wants to know if some other smart person suggested you build the wall that way. Love MOM