Thursday, January 8, 2009

七草の節句

Yesterday was a Japanese festival called Nanakusa-no-sekku. The festival consists of preparing and eating Nanakusa-gayu a rice porridge with seven herb flavorings, Daikon radish, Oenanthe, Cudweed, Shepperd's Purse, Chickweed, Lapsana, and Turnip. According to Wikipedia participating in Nanakusa-no-sekku is meant to bring good health and longevity, according to my friends, who introduced me to the event, there is no purpose behind it, just tradition.

It is a bit of a bummer to be back at work after the 10 day Winter vacation, but one of the upsides is all the Omiyage that my coworkers brought back from their travels. On Tuesday, my first day back in the office, I received 4 snacks and a few more have been handed out since then. Over the break yet another economic/environmental cutback was made in my office. The restroom hand dryers have been turned off and now display a sign that explains this logic. Rumor has it that they will be off for a minimum of three years. This may be the push I need to start using my handkerchiefs.

No comments: