Thursday, May 26, 2011

Half and Half

The work with my parents last night started out good, but ultimately ended up being very frustrating. When I arrived my Dad had the door framed and all of the molding in. After dinner we started with the Windowsills, they were heavy (a bit over 100lbs).  Since the granite store refused to let me take the sills home in my car for fear they would break (my Mom had to pick them up for me) I I had been running windowsill disaster scenarios through my head pretty much all afternoon (ie we slip carrying the windowsill in the rain outside or the sill cracks into multiple pieces and ruins the new floor or it is impossible to fit the thing into place, or...) My Dad wanted to set the sills in place without doing a dry run, but I wasn't willing to take that risk so we started to maneuver them into position and immediately realized that the opening was too short at the front. This was easily fixed by cutting back the drywall and allowing the sill to slip into place under the drywall.  Next we Caulked on some silicone and with three people slipped the sill into position fairly easily.  My heart was racing, but the process was almost painless.
I am really happy with how they look, and for the price that better be the case (Granite remnants are not as inexpensive as the home improvement shows on TV lead you to believe). The one thing left to complete the look is a bit of caulk and paint.

Next we went to work on the door and it was/is a disaster I am not ready to talk about yet...

No comments: