Sunday, June 14, 2009

Daruma Doll

At a recent team nomikai honoring the outgoing and incoming team leaders a strange ritual, involving a round, one eyed, red doll took place. This event was the first time I’d seen a Daruma Dolland at the time I didn’t have any luck getting an explanation between my Japanese and my coworkers’ English. My experience was something like this, people yelled monetary values, auction style, that were recorded. When the bidding was complete the second eye of the Doll was drawn, it was placed in a plastic bag and given to the incoming team later who smashed it reveling money which was given to the closest bidder. I still don’t understand all of the details of what was going on but I have since learned that Drauma Dolls are based in Buddhism and are used as a tool in achieving a goal. At the start of the goal one eye is drawn on the doll and upon completion the other eye can be drawn in, in the meantime the doll is stored in the household Buddhist shrine.

No comments: