Friday, June 26, 2009

Peaches

It is peach season in Japan. As a side note A also tells me that it is kiwi season, but I don't understand how that is possible given that kiwi are grown in New Zealand. I think what she actually means is that it is kiwi marketing season.

The peaches in the grocery store are prohibitively expensive, today when I checked the inexpensive ones were the equivalent of $4 for a package of two and the expensive ones are about $50 for a package about the size of a large shoe box.

Fortunately, there is a little stand along the walk from my office to the parking lot that just started selling peaches.
At the stand I was able to get 5 peaches for the equivalent of $3. While they are not quite ripe yet I couldn't resist having one for breakfast this morning. It was still a little hard, but the taste was great.The most fun part of the road side stand peaches is that I suspect they came from one of the orchards, with symmetrical trees, near the office.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

very cool! and good price!

Kevin said...

Actually, it seems kiwi's grow quite well here.. One of my co-worker's inlaws have an orchard on the other coast, directly north of nagoya.. He was out tying them up a couple weeks ago..
However, kiwi season isn't for another couple months yet, at least..
Mekon season is my favorite though.. :)

Alice said...

Where can I find the grown in Japan Kiwis? The only ones I have ever seen at Valor say New Zealand.