Tuesday, June 9, 2009

OT Pay

It is Typical for employees of a Japanese company to work a lot of OT (or it was prior to the current economic conditions). I am paid hourly in Japan, so working a lot of OT should be a good thing right? I just calculated my OT hourly rate and it is equivalent to what I made as a lifeguard in college.

...I wrote this post several months ago near the start of my assignment and just after the economy started to get really bad. Since then I put it one hold while I debated if it was appropriate to post something about my salary. Considering that my salary is divided between the company in Japan and the company at home, excluding OT which is paid only in Japan I think that the lower pay for working OT is the interesting thing to consider, rather than the actual OT rate...

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Isn't overtime here supposed to be at 125% of normal wage?

Yours is less than your normal?

Also, you're lucky to get paid a portion in yen.. I'm paid all in cdn, and the conversion is my job. :)

Alice said...

My OT in Japan is paid at 130%, which is strange to me because in the US I had only ever heard of 150% OT. The problem is that I don't get paid for OT by my US company only on the Japanese side and since my salary is divided between the two it works out that I get less money per hour working OT. I guess shouldn't complain because in the US I wouldn't get anything for OT.

I do feel lucky that I get paid a portion in yen, but it would be nice if the value of the yen went back up against the dollar before I need to close my Japanese bank account and head home. I hope that your company set you up with a bank account in Japan. I remember when I had to set up a bank account the HR person who went with me was just like "sign here," "copy this kanji," etc and I had to just hope that everything was getting done correctly because I couldn't read or understand most of what was going on. That was the was probably the most stressful time to be illiterate.