Friday, June 5, 2009

Body Size, Japanese vs U.S.

I expressed some of my annoyance at the difference between my size and that of the Japanese people I am surrounded by in a post about Nagashima Outlet Mall; I have since come across some data that supports the disparity that I deal with. In terms of height my height is nearly identical to the average Japanese male.

Country

Average male height

>Average female height

Japan

5' 7.5

5' 2.2>

U.S.*

5' 10.4

5' 4.9


For BMI, again, I align almost exactly with the average Japanese male in my age group.

Country

Average male BMI

Average female BMI

Japan

Just over 22 kg/m^2

Just over 20 kg/m^2

U.S.*


26.8 kg/m^2

*These values represent only my demographic and not the entire U.S. population

According to The WHO the cutoff for healthy weight is a BMI of 25, however in certain Asian populations the risk for health related medical conditions increases at BMIs lower than 25, and 23 is considered a more conservative upper limit. Despite the fact that I am the size of an average Japanese male, I do feel better knowing that people of my ethnicity evolved to be heavier than the people I am currently surrounded by.

No comments: